High School Science Teacher
About The SchoolThe first full British style boarding school in the city. Learn more about this school
GENERAL TEACHING DUTIES
Learning & Teaching
1. To manage student learning through effective
teaching in accordance with Lucton School Shanghai’s schemes of work and
2. To ensure continuity, progression and cohesiveness
in all teaching.
3. To use a variety of methods and approaches
(including challenging our students) to match curricular objectives to the
range of student needs, and ensure equal opportunity for all students.
4. To set homework regularly, (in accordance with the
school homework policy), to consolidate and extend learning, and to encourage
students to take responsibility for their own learning.
5. To work with ESL staff and support staff (including
prior discussion and joint planning), in order to benefit from their specialist
knowledge and to maximise their effectiveness within lessons.
6. To work effectively as a member of Lucton Shanghai
Learning Community to improve the quality of learning and teaching.
7. To set high expectations for all students, to
deepen their knowledge and understanding, and to maximise their achievement.
8. To use positive management of behaviour in an
environment of mutual respect, which allows students to feel safe and secure and
promotes their self-esteem.
9. To consider the needs of all students within
lessons (and to implement specialist advice) especially those who:
· have SEN;
· are high attainers;
· are not yet fluent in English.
Monitoring, Assessment, Recording, Reporting, and Accountability
1. To be immediately responsible for the processes of
identification, assessment, recording and reporting for the students in their
charge, in line with the whole school policy.
2. To contribute towards the implementation of
learning plans, as detailed in the current Code of Practice, particularly the
planning and recording of appropriate actions and outcomes related to set
3. To assess students’ work systematically and use the
results to inform future planning, teaching and curricular development.
4. To be familiar with statutory assessment and
reporting procedures and to prepare and present informative, helpful and
accurate reports to parents.
Knowledge & Understanding
have a thorough and up-to-date knowledge and understanding of the exam board’s
programmes of study, level descriptors and specifications for examination
2. To keep up to date with research and developments
in pedagogy and the subject area.
Professional Standards & Development
1. To be a role model to students through personal
presentation and professional conduct.
2. To arrive in class, on or before the
start of the lesson, and to begin and end lessons on time.
3. To cover for absent colleagues as is
reasonable, fair and equitable.
4. To co-operate with the employer in all
matters concerning Health and Safety and specifically to take reasonable care
of their own Health & Safety, and that of any other persons who may be
affected by their acts or omissions at work.
5. To be familiar with the School and Learning
Community handbooks, and support all the school’s policies.
6. To establish effective working relationships with
professional colleagues and associate staff.
7. To strive for personal and professional development
through active involvement in the school’s performance appraisal process.
8. To liaise effectively with parents/carers and with
other agencies with responsibility for students’ education and welfare.
9. To undertake any reasonable task, as agreed with
the Deputy Head Academic.
10. To be familiar with the school’s ESL Code of
11. To carry out any reasonable professional duties, as
directed by the Headteacher.
N.B: Every subject teacher will be
expected to have pastoral responsibilities.
- Essential: Graduate with relevant subject degree; At least two years teaching experience.
Qualified Teacher Status.
Experience teaching Chinese students or ESL students
Evidence of appropriate CPD related to learning and teaching.
Understanding of effective AfL strategies and how to use these to support planning and ensure student progress.
Knowledge, Understanding & Skills
Knowledge of a range of approaches to cater for different learner needs and ensure that all students are challenged and engaged.
Knowledge and understanding of strategies for promoting positive relationships with students and effective behaviour management techniques.
Knowledge of current and new exam board developments.
Experience of relevant KS5 teaching.
Self-motivated with an ability to use own initiative.
Effective interpersonal and social skills.
Self-reflective and willing to scrutinise own practice.
Full commitment to safeguarding children and young people.
Potential for promotion.
1. Salary: ¥15-28K/Month, additional housing allowance provided