WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
In 2018, we launched our Shenzhen campus, bringing our popular early childhood program from New York to China’s southern hub of innovation. Today, we are thrilled to have expanded our campus to serve students from two to 18 years of age.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. Teacher teams collaborate to nurture their students' social, emotional and academic growth. Teachers share responsibility for curriculum and plan together daily. This intense collaboration is exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
Avenues students will graduate fluent in a second language and at ease beyond their borders. To this end, children in Avenues Shenzhen alternate between learning in English and in Mandarin Chinese.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Instruction and Collaboration:
- Designs and adapts curriculum in order to engage all learners in meaningful real world problem solving that requires critical thinking skills. Ensures consistent delivery of curriculum and high quality instruction throughout each grade in both the Chinese and Target Language classrooms，and to ensure vertical alignment of curriculum up through the grades.
- Provides Professional Development during grade level meetings, after school workshops, and teacher PD weeks to ensure thorough understanding of curriculum, best teaching practices, and the use of developmentally appropriate strategies that account for different learning styles.
- Coaches teachers inside and outside the classroom and provides ongoing feedback to ensure teacher growth.
- Understands the role of assessment to inform instruction and monitor student growth. Ensures that 90% of students are on track to mastering key essential learning outcomes for grade level. For students not on track to meeting benchmarks, math specialists meet with students’ teachers to create a learning plan.
- Lead differentiated student groups to monitor student growth and meet students’ special needs.
- Support the development of applied mathematics curriculum to engage all learners in authentic and meaningful problem solving that require interdisciplinary skills.
- Vigorously upholds a culture of welcome, safety and respect for all members of the community.
- Cares about and connects deeply with faculty, knows each one as an individual.
- Provides teachers with resources for parents and runs parent information sessions