Science Teacher, Secondary Division (Grades 6-9)
About The SchoolProviding transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe Learn more about this school
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World School prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary, project-based learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Shenzhen opened in August 2018, our first campus in China. Avenues Shenzhen provides a unique early childhood program, and is now expanding to serve students in all grades from grades from toddler through 12. Avenues Shenzhen furthers Avenues' longstanding commitment to developing multiple campuses in China, providing a transformative, world-focused education.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
At Avenues, science classes are interdisciplinary. Science teachers work closely with teachers of visual art, English, and the World Course to design interdisciplinary, project-based learning experiences. Avenues science teachers ensure that students act as scientists every day: asking questions, conducting investigations in our brand-new labs, and using science to learn about and engage with the world around them. In grades 6-9, we teach a rigorous, project-based curriculum that integrates fundamental concepts and skills from the physical, life, and earth sciences along with introductory robotics and engineering. As an Avenues science teacher, you will:
- Ensure that students achieve key learning outcomes in physical and life sciences, targeting instruction thoughtfully to address diverse individual needs
- Design, implement, and refine project-based learning experiences that give students access to curricular content and skills through authentic, purpose-driven, real-world projects
- Deeply connect with students, colleagues and parents to uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Invoke a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
- Find ways to to improve your practice every day by collaborating with your colleagues
- A strong science background and at least 3 years of teaching experience in middle or high school science
- Content knowledge in general physical, life, and earth sciences concepts, as well as one or more specialized topics (e.g. astronomy, environmental science, engineering, robotics, computer science, etc.)
- Experience in designing, developing and guiding students through rigorous science-focused and interdisciplinary project-based learning experiences
- Profound commitment to ensuring and nurturing children's wellbeing
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree in education or related field is ideal
- Professional fluency in English; Mandarin Chinese is a plus
- Basic Salary:Negotiable depends on Qualification and Experience
- Housing allowance
- International Insurance and Local Insurance
- Free tuition for child
- other benefits