Secondary Music Teacher
About The SchoolThe first full British style boarding school in the city. Learn more about this school
Job Title: Secondary Music Teacher
Location: Shanghai, China
Teach IGCSE, A Level Music Course/support the CCA program/take the responsibilities of pastoral care
An English full boarding school with a teaching tradition of over 310 years
The concept of whole-person education, creating a second home for students
Committed to excavating students' talents and, carrying out a variety of sports and super-curricular activities, equestrian courses are compulsory courses
The post holder will be required to exercise her/his professional skills and judgement to carry out, in a collaborative manner, the professional duties set out below:
1. Development of the school
- To support the vision and mission, positive ethos and policies of the whole school and raise standards of the teaching, learning and attainment of students in Music education.
- To work with the Music team in achieving the priorities and targets which the school sets for itself in implementing innovative schemes of work.
- To support the evaluation of the effectiveness of the school’s policies and developments in Music.
- To keep abreast of educational developments in Music in line with the needs of the school.
- To be an exemplary teacher, clearly demonstrating effective planning, teaching and organisation, and high standards of achievement and behaviour in Music lessons.
- To be responsible for the development and on-going review of the school’s Music curriculum and related schemes of work.
- To support the development of the school’s Music assessment procedures.
- To work effectively to ensure that there is progression across the year groups.
- To liaise with the school leadership regarding the booking and timetabling of facilities, to keep staff fully informed of venue changes when necessary.
- To develop an orchestra programme and rehearse and conduct our orchestra ensembles
- To be able to keep records of student progress in line with school policy
- To be able to use assessments of students learning to inform future planning
- To arrange and support individual instrumental lessons
- To participate in continuing professional development (CPD) activities
- Participating in arrangements made by the school for the review and management of performance
- Support a programme of performance opportunities to enhance and encourage the Music skills of all students.
- To contribute greatly to the extra-curricular programme, which includes lunchtimes, break-times, after school and sometimes weekends
- To maintain and develop links with parents, other schools, educational institutions and the wider community, including business and industry in order to enhance teaching, learning and personal development opportunities for the Music education of all the students.
- Have excellent accompanying skills, and ability to teach singing in groups.
- Substantial and successful teaching experience in Music education.
- Have an instrumental/vocal specialism.
- Experience of assessing pupil progress in Music.
- High level of personal skill in and passion for Music
- Personal and intellectual qualities required to set an example to others.
- Ability to work on own initiative and be proactive.
- Commitment to excellence and to significantly raise the Music skills and personal achievements of all students.
- Flexibility, drive, energy and enthusiasm.
- Approachability and a sense of humour.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of the IGCSE curriculum and how this can be implemented through realistic and achievable planning.
- Ability to be a good team player with a good understanding of how team work contributes to school improvement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritise tasks and manage time effectively in order to meet deadlines.
- Holder of Bachelor's Degree in Music or equivalent
- Qualified teacher with recognized teaching credentials
- Minimum 2 years of full-time teaching experience
- Native level of English
- Experience of curricular innovation and development
- Previous experience of teaching Music to Asian students
- Experience of using ICT to enhance and support teaching and learning
- Knowledge of the particular difficulties faced by EAL students
1. Salary: Negotiable, based on teaching experience and qualifications
2. 2 year contract (flight allowance, housing and medical cover)
3. Full paid winter and summer vacation.
4.Free shuttle bus: Longyang Road Subway Station