Teacher of English as an Additional Language (EAL)
About The SchoolOpened in Sep 2019, NAS Beijing Fangshan provides state of the art teaching and learning Learn more about this school
Nord Anglia School Beijing, Fangshan is one of the most famous international schools in China, as an EAL Teacher, your role includes:
- To plan, prepare and deliver schemes of work in accordance with the EAL programs (extraction and in-class) set out by the curriculum and the school;
- To plan and deliver effective teaching programmes which provide exemplary learning opportunities within and beyond the classroom;
- To positively target and support individual learning needs;
- To maintain high levels of behaviour and discipline;
- To use modern technology to enhance learning opportunities
- To work cooperatively with mainstream curriculum teachers to plan and deliver support to EAL and other students within the mainstream;
- To maintain a working knowledge of EAL support teaching within a school context;
- To maintain records of pupils’ progress including:
- To write reports to parents as and when required and conduct regular meetings with parents to discuss and explain their child’s performance and progress in school;
- To monitor and record students’ learning to ensure they remain on track to achieve challenging targets;
- Report on progress to relevant Heads of Department, Line Manager and other appropriate stakeholders;
- To make effective use of formative and summative assessment to plan challenging learning opportunities for all students;
- To effectively use homework and other extra-curricular learning opportunities;
- To provide and maintain an attractive and stimulating environment in which to foster effective teaching and learning in line with the school’s display policy;
- To monitor progress and effectiveness of lessons and to evaluate and modify as necessary;
- To be an active part of the whole school team that ensures communication between and consistency across year groups for EAL support;
- To promote the use of English language within the school and throughout the school day so that English becomes the accepted language of choice for all students.
- To establish a purposeful and safe learning environment for all students;
- To be aware of the physical and emotional well-being of pupils and the need to respond to particular situations;
- To liaise with other agencies e.g. school nurse, SENCO, educational psychologist if required.
- To contribute to the preparation of action plans and other support mechanisms;
- To alert appropriate staff to problems experienced by students and make recommendations as to how these may be resolved;
- To communicate effectively with parents of students, liaising with other staff as appropriate;
- To contribute to Character Development and PSHE according to school policy.
Administrative/additional duties to understand and implement:
- Regulations and correct procedures:
- Emergency and evacuation procedures;
- Health and Safety policies;
- Child Protection policy;
- All curriculum or organizational policies or agreed procedures;
- To conduct standardized or other tests when required and document pupils performance;
- To attend and participate in weekly staff meetings and also on other occasions when required e.g. team planning meetings, support the decisions taken at those meetings, and respect the confidentiality of the matters discussed;
- To attend and participate in training days;
- To supervise playtimes, lunchtimes and provide ASAs as required;
- To register students and take on responsibilities of a form tutor as required;
- To supervise after school matches or concerts when required;
- To supervise pupils in assemblies and lead a class assembly as required;
- To supervise and lead: Teaching Assistants, Students, Voluntary Helper;
- To liaise with colleagues enabling smooth transfers of children within school and to/from others.
- Support the life of the school beyond the classroom;
- Lead one or more agreed after school activities each week;
- Participate in residential weeks and other trips as appropriate;
- Contribute to whole school learning or pastoral initiatives during term.
- To take a proactive approach towards continuous professional development;
- Contribute positively to the morale and community spirit in the school;
- Work effectively in different teams;
- Assist in whole school marketing initiatives and contribute to the growth of the school;
- Operate at all times within the stated policies and practices of the school;
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of good practice in teaching techniques;
- Maintain subject(s) or specialism(s) to enable effective teaching;
- Keep knowledge of wider curriculum developments up to date;
- Undertake professional development to enhance teaching and students' learning, and apply outcomes and identify impact and share outcomes with colleagues.
- To manage effective personal development as part of the company’s commitment to invest in staff as the key resource in the organisation.
- To meet statutory responsibilities and company policies with regard to Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities and other relevant legislation.
- To promote and adhere to the stated Mission and Core Values of NAS Beijing, Fangshan. Our mission is to inspire a lifelong love of learning amongst our students.
- To act as a role model in promoting our core values of responsibility, integrity, respect and commitment.
- To do everything possible to ensure that our students leave us as confident global citizens able to enter the best Universities and make a positive contribution in the wider world.
- Any other appropriate duties as allocated by the Principal.
- Bachelors Degree or Higher
- EAL teaching qualification (CELTA/TEFL or equivalent, or higher)
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience since graduating
- Experience in and knowledge of teaching appropriate age range (e.g. K-12)
- Demonstrable evidence of innovating and adapting curricula to engage children and enable them to perform highly
- Working in partnership with parents
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to engage children and enable them to perform highly
- Passionate about education and young people
- Evidence of commitment to continuous professional development
- High levels of personal integrity
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and remain calm
- Willingness to take on multiple tasks
- Proactive and able to prompt others to ensure deadlines are achieved
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Ability to work independently
- Continually strive for improvement
- Qualified Teacher Status
- Experience of being part of a highly successful department and school
- Experience of delivering a UK National Curriculum and/or the IB Diploma
- Confident global citizen or a willingness to become one
Competitive salary dependent upon years of experience and qualifications