Assistant Principal / PYP Coordinator (AP/PYPC)
About The SchoolAchieve Xiamen International School (AXIS) is a premiere international school in China Learn more about this school
Department: Primary School
Term Of Employment: Two-year initial contract, 200 days per year
Band: Foreign-hired Expatriate Administrator Band 2
Reporting Accountability: The AP/PYPC reports to the HOS
Scope of Responsibility:
The AP/PYPC works closely with the HOS and serves as the onsite curriculum, instructional, and pastoral leader for the students from Nursery to Grade 5. The AP/PYPC will play an active role in the refinement of the primary school curriculum. As a PYP candidate school, the coordination of the PYP in alignment with the secondary program is a joint responsibility of the academic leadership team. The AP/PYPC will take formal responsibility for coordination of the IBPYP as a IBPYP Coordinator as defined by the IB. The AP/PYPC, in conjunction with the academic leadership team, is responsible for all aspects of the program including instructional leadership, pastoral, administration, supervision, admissions, budgeting and facility management. The AP/PYPC shall also promote parent involvement and represent the Primary School in the community.
The AP/PYPC, in conjunction with the HOS, will supervise all staff assigned to Nursery to G5.
Major Duties And Responsibilities
· Oversee the development, documentation and delivery of the curriculum from nursery to grade 5.
· Work with the Secondary AP/APC, and the Senior Leadership Team to ensure curricular alignment from Nursery to Grade 12.
· Assist in the coordination, supervision and evaluation of all activities and programs.
· Monitor and manage student behavior.
· Coordinate weekly Primary faculty Focus on Learning meetings.
· Assist in interviewing, tracking and admitting incoming students.
· Evaluate the performance of staff, guide improvement, and take other steps as necessary.
· Collaborate and contribute to school-wide leadership and planning as part of the Senior Leadership Team.
· Work with the Secondary AP/APC to:
· assume responsibility for maintenance and proper utilization of facilities
· organize and supervise the reporting process
· calendar school events
· develop and supervise teaching & supervision duty schedules
· Promote and maintain strong parental and community involvement.
· Assist the HOS staff recruitment.
· Work in conjunction with the AP/APC and HOS to plan and implement the orientation program for new teachers.
· Lead and PYP Exhibition in grade 5
· Organize and supervise all testing periods for students in grades 2-5.
· Organize KG & grade 5 promotion ceremonies.
· Provide training and support for teachers in the analysis of data to support differentiated instruction.
· Contribute to school publications including the handbooks, weekly, website etc.
· Assist HOS in leading all authorizations, accreditations and evaluations
· Perform other duties as assigned by the HOS.
IB Specific Duties And Responsibilities
· Ensure that the copies of the IBO publications pertaining to their sections of the school are available to all staff members.
· Establish and maintain a record of completed planning documents.
· Ensure that essential agreements are formulated for assessment in line with the school’s assessment policy.
· Participation in the formulation of the school’s strategic development plan.
· Lead the process of development and review of reporting documentation in the PYP.
· Participate as an active member in the school’s curriculum and assessment committees.
· Work with academic leadership and the curriculum and assessment committees to ensure that the scope and sequence documents are consistent with the IBO philosophy, support the program of enquiry and are practical documents which support an inquiry-based, concept driven approach to learning.
· Establish and regularly review guidelines for the implementation of the learner profile, ATTs, and ATLs across the primary school.
· Work with the HOS to ensure that adequate professional development opportunities are provided for teachers and administration both on and off campus and that they are made aware of these opportunities.
· Engages in regular PD an attends IBO Annual Conferences and Regional Network meetings.
· Plan and deliver workshops for staff on aspects of the PYP as part of the school’s overall professional development plan.
· Plan and deliver workshops for new teachers as they arrive at the school.
· Keep a record of workshops and school visits.
· Participate in planning teams across the PYP years to model the process of team planning and assist teams in developing units of work.
· Provide guidance for planning teams to ensure that units of inquiry have an international focus and a focus on language development.
· Make recommendations for suitable resources to support the programme.
· Establish an inventory of resources.
· Identify local people and resources that can be used to support the programme.
· Ensure that there are resources for the programme which cater to the needs of second language learners and the various cultural backgrounds of the students in the school.
· Encourage regular dialogue among teachers about all aspects of teaching and learning in the school.
· Ensure that the fundamentals of the PYP remain in constant focus in all work within the PYP’s section of the school.
· Set up systems for communication and collaboration among all staff members involved in implementing the programme.
· Conduct parent information sessions.
· Publish articles relating to the programme to the AXIS community.
· Circulate all relevant information received from the IBO.
· Prepare and submit any documentation required for candidacy, authorization or evaluation.
· Ensure that all requirements and procedures set by the IBO concerning the programme are adhered to.
· Respond to requests for information from the IBO.
· Act as a liaison between the school and the IBO.
· Provide outreach to the wider community of learners through such media as the MyIB discussion forum, email contacts with colleagues and school visits.
· Liaise with the HOS and administration team to facilitate consistency in curriculum and reporting practices and documentation across the school.
· Work with the administration team to maintain an ongoing focus on the learner profile as central pillars of the school’s philosophy and practice.
Required Qualifications, Skills, Experience and Attributes:
· A Master’s Degree preferred with specialization in curriculum, leadership, or related fields.
· At least five years of appropriate IBPYP teaching experience.
· Previous experience as an administrator or IBPYP Coordinator at this level.
· Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school stakeholders.
· Experience with leading systemic change and implementation.
· Experience in implementing the research-based principles in education, curriculum, staff development, instruction, and supervision.
· Personal qualities associated with good human relations and interpersonal relations.
· Shared decision-making skills in order to be an effective member of the Senior Leadership Team.
· Ability to lead staff toward instructional improvement and conduct staff development sessions.
· Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, work effectively under pressure, and pay attention to detail.
· Demonstrate a high-level of commitment and professionalism.
· Fluency in both written and spoken English.
(This position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the employee nor SIS to only the work identified.)
transportation allowance : US$1800/ contract year + dependent in additional
Shipping allowance: US$1500 incoming, US$1500 outgoing
settling in Allowance: RMB3000 for each newly hired staff
medical insurance, and life insurance