American International School of Guangzhou
Negotiable Guangzhou, Guangdong, China 1 position available Starting date in 2022-08-01
About The SchoolAISG is an independent day school offering a full educational program from Preschool to Grade 12. Learn more about this school
AISG is a caring community that looks for passionate teachers who bring their forward-thinking pedagogy along with an empathetic approach to enrich each child’s learning.
AISG is on a path to becoming an IB World Continuum School. We are looking for a Middle Years Programme Coordinator with past experience who can help lead faculty, parents and students through the authorization and implementation process.
The MYP Coordinator reports to the Secondary Principal. The MYP Coordinator is a crucial link between the school and the IBO. They are expected to maintain a thorough understanding of all aspects of the Middle Years Programme and actively endorse and promote the principles that underpin it. Additionally, the MYP Coordinator will be expected to provide positive leadership that builds and sustains a healthy MYP culture amongst all Secondary faculty.
The MYP Coordinator will be accountable and responsible for:
• informing and advising the school leadership and, where necessary, the school community regarding all aspects of the Middle Years Programme;
• planning the MYP in co-operation with the Secondary administrative team including strategic and action planning, allocation of resources and establishment of priorities to ensure continuous programme improvement;
• overseeing the implementation and delivery of the MYP;
• participating in the scheduling process to ensure that the schedule supports student learning in the MYP;
• providing advice, and support to all teachers as well as keeping staff informed of all current developments with the MYP including advising the appropriate faculty of any new publications relevant to their subject areas and/or positions within the school;
• Leading professional development sessions for faculty;
• leading the understanding and appreciation of the MYP within the AISG school community;
• promoting the MYP with the AISG school community;
• organising the formal procedures in preparation for moderation, certification and programme evaluation;
• maintaining regular contact with the IBO and assuming overall responsibility for administering, distributing, completing and returning all relevant documentation pertaining to the MYP;
• maintaining accurate school and student information via IBIS;
• overseeing the development, implementation and administration of the Personal Project and working with the Personal Project supervisor to ensure the continuity of the Personal Project;
• liaising, as appropriate, with the IB Diploma and PYP coordinators to facilitate a smooth student transition from one programme to the next and to ensure continuity of curriculum;
• organising, attending and leading such MYP community information session as required;
• attending PLC, Learning Leaders, Secondary Leadership and Board of Director meetings as required;
• assessing the professional development needs of MYP teachers and coordinating their participation in MYP workshops;
• inducting new faculty, students and parents into the MYP;
• organizing the community and service program for students in grades 6 to 10
• leading the IB MYP implementation and authorization process;
• leading the IB MYP five-year self-study process when it occurs.
• Working with the Dean of Students and Student Support Team to ensure that teachers are aware of students specific learning needs and ensuring that these needs are being met through the use of appropriate teaching and learning strategies throughout Grades 6-10.
Coordinator will be accountable and responsible for:
• liaising with the Professional Learning Community Leads (PLCL) to ensure a scope and sequence is in place in Atlas and adhered to for each academic department;
• facilitating collaborative planning within and across departments.
• ensuring the consistency and development of unit planners in each academic department;
• establishing and maintaining a record of completed MYP planners in Atlas;
• ensuring that the planning and teaching of the IB Learner Profile (LP) and of Approaches to Learning Skills (AtL skills) show a coherent development from Grade 6 to Grade 10;
• providing leadership that builds and sustains a healthy MYP culture amongst all faculty;
• participating in curriculum review and development for each academic department;
• developing interdisciplinary links through Grade levels and subject departments;
• working with the PYP and DP Coordinators to ensure overall curriculum continuity with the PYP and DP in the school and between the programmes.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• A minimum of 3 years successful teaching experience within the IB MYP;
• A deep understanding of the IB MYP;
• A minimum of 2 years experience as an MYP Coordinator within an international school setting;
• A creative leader with a proven track record of leading mission, vision and strategic plan driven change;
• Strong organizational ability and initiative;
• Experience with curriculum development and documentation within the IB MYP;
• Knowledge of the IB PYP and IB DP and how the IB MYP accepts students from one programme and prepares them for the next programme;
• Overall knowledge of the commonalities of each of the IB programmes;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and strong communication skills;
• MYP examination or MYP workshop leader experience will be viewed favourably;
• M.A./M.Ed. or equivalent preferred.
• MYP implementation experience will be viewed favourably;
The MYP Coordinator will be expected to assume a teaching load (% TBD)
Bachelor’s degree or higher; teaching certification required;
Minimum of 2 years of successful full-time teaching experience;
Post date: 2021-09-09