Haileybury International School
Senior School Mathematics Teacher
30k-40k / Month Tianjin, China 1 position available Starting date in 2024-02-15
About The SchoolHaileybury has established Australia’s first international school in China. Learn more about this school
The Victorian Curriculum of Education (VCE) Mathematics is the study of function and pattern in number, logic, space, and structure, and of randomness, chance, variability and uncertainty in data and events. VCE mathematical activities include conjecturing, hypothesising and problem posing; estimating, calculating, and computing; abstracting, proving, refuting and inferring; applying, investigating, modelling and problem solving.
VCE Mathematics is made up of the following subjects:
VCE Preparation Mathematics (Year 10)
General Mathematics Units 1 and 2 & Further Mathematics Units 3 and 4
Mathematical Methods Units 1 and 2 & Mathematical Methods Units 3 and 4
Specialist Mathematics Units 1 and 2 & Specialist Mathematics Units 3 and 4
General Mathematics Units 1 and 2 provide for a range of courses of study involving non-calculus-based topics.
Mathematical Methods Units 1 and 2 provide an introductory study of simple elementary functions, algebra, calculus, probability and statistics and their applications in a variety of practical and theoretical contexts.
Specialist Mathematics Units 1 and 2 comprise of non-calculus-based topics and provide courses of study for students interested in advanced study of
mathematics, with a focus on mathematical structure and reasoning.
Further Mathematics Units 3 and 4 comprise a combination of non-calculusbased content from a prescribed core and a selection of two from four possible
modules across a range of application contexts. They provide general preparation for employment or further study, in particular where data analysis, recursion and number patterns are important.
Mathematical Methods Units 3 and 4 extend the study of simple elementary functions to include combinations of these functions, algebra, calculus,
probability and statistics, and their applications in a variety of practical and theoretical contexts.
Specialist Mathematics Units 3 and 4 are designed to be taken in conjunction with Mathematical Methods Units 3 and 4. The areas of study includes rational and other quotient functions as well as other advanced mathematics topics such as complex numbers, vectors, differential equations, mechanics and statistical inference.
The primary responsibility of the Senior School Mathematics Teacher is to deliver and promote Mathematics at senior levels within the School.
Teachers should ensure:
• Their delivery of the curriculum caters for students with varying learning styles and
ensures best practice in pedagogy in Senior School Mathematics
• They keep up-to-date with modern teaching practice
• They use appropriate learning styles for EAL/ESL students
• That they use a variety of assessment tasks for students to experience success and
accurately assess and build levels of student achievement
• Teachers are expected to participate in co-curricular activities including sport, the
arts and/or outdoor activities.
• Teachers are expected to maintain records of classroom attendance
• Report writing in accordance with School policy
• Attend staff and other administrative meetings as required
• Undertake evening study supervision and activities as required
• Attend parent/teacher interviews and promotional events as required.
• Ready for a new challenge
• Flexible and dynamic
• Enthusiastic and conscientious
• Demonstrated knowledge and at least two (2) years’ experience in teaching senior mathematics
• VCE (or Australian equivalent) Mathematics Methods, Specialist Maths and/or Further Mathematics experience preferred and/or
• Experience in IB Diploma Mathematics SL and/or HL, IGCSE Mathematics and A-Levels
• Ability to live within a foreign country for an extended period
• Eligible to be granted a work visa for China
• Ability to form a rapport with students and build collaborative working relationships
• Good verbal, written and inter-personal communication skills
• English Native speakers
• Bilingual Mandarin/English an advantage but not neccessary
• Sensitivity to the requirements of working in an international setting with a number of non-English speaking families and colleagues
• Minimum of Bachelor Degree in subject area
• Certified Teacher qualification and Registration
• The successful candidate will be expected to support the vision and ethos of the School.
• Staff must ensure that all decisions, pertaining to their role at Haileybury, are made in line with legislations and Haileybury policies and procedures as set out in the staff code of conduct and associated policies.
Competitive salary based on qualifications and experience.
The full package includes accommodation (2-bedroom apartment or as applicable for family), comprehensive medical insurance, visa and onboard costs, free tuition for children, flight costs as applicable, relocation allowance, gratuity allowance on successful completion of contract
• 2 years contract
• Full pay salary during summer and winter holidays
• Apartment provided outside of the school
• Holidays:October National Day (one week), Winter Break (three weeks in January and February), Mid Semester vacation (one week around April and one week around December) and Summer Break (six weeks in July and August)
• Summer break: From July-August about 5 weeks and 1-week PD
• Winter break: About 3 weeks in January and February, according to the Chinese Lunar New Year and Education Bureau’s teaching calendar
• Working visa provided
Post date: 2023-11-02