Shanghai Concord Bilingual School
Teacher of Mathematics
Negotiable Shanghai, China 1 position available Starting date in 2019-09-30
About The SchoolInternational private school providing outstanding education for employees of Fortune500 children Learn more about this school
THE MATHEMATICS DEPARTMENT：
The Mathematics Department will initially be a small, but well qualified team of 4 teachers. Over the coming years it is planned for the school to grow rapidly. By 2019 the Department will have 5 staff. It is an exciting opportunity for a forward looking and energetic teacher.
Members of the Department will be expected to work as a team when preparing materials and to share in the writing of weekly assessments, which will then be used as common assessments. Each individual teacher will be assisted to maximise the quality of their teaching. Regular departmental meetings, INSET, lesson observations and professional reviews will all be developed to form part of this process.
Most of the Mathematics classrooms are equipped with data projectors and whiteboards and are located in a teaching block extensively renovated. The department is involved in the development of a VLE and will foster a culture of sharing resources.
In 2020, it is intended that the school will relocate to a purpose built site in the same district of Shanghai. The teachers will be directly involved and consulted in the development of the Maths department in the new school and in the facilities required.
Intake of students in the first year was restricted to pupils in Years 6 and 10 in the Chinese system (ages 11 and 15). The youngest students follow the compulsory Chinese Curriculum alongside intensive English and bilingual extension courses. This will lead to IGCSE Mathematics and Additional Mathematics courses in Year 10. In future years, as the college grows, the ablest may also be able to study Statistics. In Concord College UK, Mathematics is the most popular subject at AS and A level and a large proportion of Concord students study Mathematics at this level. Around 60 students take Further Mathematics each year and several students’ progress on to Oxbridge to study Mathematics or closely related subjects. It is our aim that students at SCBS will aspire to and reach the same exceptional standard in Mathematics. Excellence is our goal.
The Teacher of Mathematics will report the Head of Mathematics, Senior Management and ultimately the Principal.The post-holder will be part of a team of specialist subject teachers, a team which is expected to grow rapidly as the size of the school develops. He/she will work closely with others in the department to develop the subject at all levels throughout the school He/she needs to possess good organizational skills and also be an enthusiastic, energetic and innovative teacher who can contribute effectively to the department and who is committed to flexible and varied styles of teaching and in sympathy with the aims and objectives of the school. Timetabling and strong IT skills would be an advantage.
Main duties and responsibilities to include:
- be actively involved in reviewing curriculum needs and, in consultation with the Head of Mathematics, choose courses that are appropriate to the needs of our students;
- developing and managing coursework and practical assessments in line with exam board specifications, including preparation of such and supervision of students during such assessments;
- attending and contributing to regular subject meetings of Mathematics staff at which curriculum planning, student progress, and teaching and learning needs are discussed and good practice shared;
- participating in professional review interviews and regular lesson observations as agreed within the department;
- thorough planning, preparation and clear presentation of lessons;
- initiating, facilitating and moderating classroom discussions;
- evaluating and grading students’ work, giving appropriate feedback and maintaining records of students’ progress and development;
- researching new topic areas, maintaining up-to-date subject knowledge, and devising and writing new curriculum materials;
- selecting and using a range of different learning resources and equipment;
- preparing students for qualifications, including external examinations and as required;
- managing student behaviour in the classroom and on college premises;
- participating in regular departmental meetings, INSET, college training events, observation and professional review in order to maximise the quality of teaching;
- acting as personal tutor to a group of students as directed by the Principal;
- effectively using the school data base;
- writing regular, informative and individual reports on students;
- promoting the general well-being of students and communicating with the personal tutor responsible;
- participating in and organising extracurricular activities as appropriate and as required by Senior Management;
- complying with policies and procedures, including those relating to Safeguarding and Child Protection,
- Health and Safety, Welfare, Smoking in the Workplace, Security, Confidentiality and Data Protection, and reporting any concerns.
This list is not intended to be exhaustive. The nature of teaching and of education is that change is likely, either externally prompted (for instance a government or exam board reform) or as a result of SCBS-based initiatives. The teacher should therefore expect to undertake any other reasonable duties for the further development of the subject within the school and of the school’s academic ethos in general.
- a high quality degree with Mathematics as the sole or significant focus;
- a formal teaching qualification and teaching experience;
- an interest in further training and development.
Skills and Experience:
- the capability of teaching Mathematics expertly and confidently to all age groups 11-18, being up-to- date in his/her subject;
- a willingness to accommodate the needs of students from a variety of linguistic backgrounds is essential and experience in this is an advantage;
- confidence in IT and good IT skills, being able to pick up new procedures and routines quickly; particularly in respect of the school data base system and the further development of the VLE;
- effective and efficient administrative skills;
- the ability and willingness to contribute to the teaching of another science subject will be an advantage;
- the ability to contribute to the extra-curricular life of the College is essential;
- relevant experience in teaching, examining or in the commercial sector will be taken into account;
- minimum of two years teaching experience.
The successful applicant should:
- be a passionate advocate of his/her subject;
- have good interpersonal skills and have the ability to work as part of a team;
- be generous in spirit – the role is likely to require hard work and a professional attitude to the
- commitment required in a developing school;
- be able to communicate fluently and accurately in spoken and written English;
- demonstrate foresight and good judgement in the execution of managerial tasks;
- be confident in handling students at both ends of the academic spectrum;
- be flexible in outlook and amenable to change.
Hours of Work
Teachers are expected to work the hours necessary to fulfill their role to the highest possible professional standards, and be available for all scheduled lessons, duties, meetings and other associated activities. Academic staff are also expected to actively support school events as far as possible, and contribute to the broader life of the school.
Details of remuneration and benefits are given in formal offer letters and contracts of employment. Successful candidates are offered a point on the salary scale which is appropriate to their qualifications and experience. Housing allowance, return flights and full personal insurance are included in the package.
Post date: 2019-09-11
- Shanghai Concord Bilingual School
Secondary Physics Teacher¥30K-37K/Month Shanghai 1 position availableShanghai Concord Bilingual School
Teacher of MathematicsNegotiable Shanghai 1 position availableShanghai Concord Bilingual School
Primary Homeroom Teacher¥25k+/Month Shanghai 1 position available